What foods reduce the risk of stroke?

Stroke is the number-three cause of death in America and a leading cause of serious disability. An eating plan that follows the Dietary Guidelines for Americans is a good way to reduce your risk. Place an emphasis on fruits, vegetables and whole grains and eat at least seven ounces of fish each week, especially fatty fish like salmon.

Also, limit sugary beverages to no more than 36 ounces (or three 12-ounce cans of soda) per week and aim for sodium intake of 1,500 milligrams each day. Keep your fat consumption balanced between healthful and less healthful by eating nuts four times per week and limiting saturated fats from fatty or processed meats and whole-milk dairy foods.

Reducing your risk of stroke with healthier foods doesn't necessarily mean a bland and boring diet. Here are two rich-tasting foods that fit the bill: pesto and avocado.

Use the pesto in place of cream-based pasta sauce and the avocado in place of cheese on your sandwiches and you'll be doing your body double favors. Reducing saturated fat and focusing on unsaturated fat are two great ways to lower your triglyceride levels. And it turns out that may be pretty important to your stroke risk.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

What is a cerebrovascular insufficiency?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
Cerebrovascular insufficiency is a condition where the blood flow to the brain is restricted due to ...
What risk factors for stroke can I change or treat?
Stuart C. Sealfon, MDStuart C. Sealfon, MD
The first step in preventing a stroke is to know your risk factors. Most risk factors can be cha...
Are There Different Guidelines for Stroke Risk Between Men and Women?
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?