What foods reduce the risk of stroke?

Reducing your risk of stroke with healthier foods doesn't necessarily mean a bland and boring diet. Here are two rich-tasting foods that fit the bill: pesto and avocado.

Use the pesto in place of cream-based pasta sauce and the avocado in place of cheese on your sandwiches and you'll be doing your body double favors. Reducing saturated fat and focusing on unsaturated fat are two great ways to lower your triglyceride levels. And it turns out that may be pretty important to your stroke risk.

Stroke is the number-three cause of death in America and a leading cause of serious disability. An eating plan that follows the Dietary Guidelines for Americans is a good way to reduce your risk. Place an emphasis on fruits, vegetables and whole grains and eat at least seven ounces of fish each week, especially fatty fish like salmon.

Also, limit sugary beverages to no more than 36 ounces (or three 12-ounce cans of soda) per week and aim for sodium intake of 1,500 milligrams each day. Keep your fat consumption balanced between healthful and less healthful by eating nuts four times per week and limiting saturated fats from fatty or processed meats and whole-milk dairy foods.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

How do strokes affect men and women differently?
Stroke is an important health concern for all women, not least of all because strokes experienced by...
What happens if blood clots are untreated?
If blood clots are left untreated there is a risk of the clot dislodging and going to the lungs. The...
Is the Level of Vitamin C in the Body Related to Stroke Risk?
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?