Is race a risk factor for stroke?

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), stroke is more common and more deadly for African Americans than any other ethnic or racial group in the United States. Obviously, race is a risk factor you cannot change, but knowing you are at greater risk is a good reason to find out what things you can change to prevent stroke; for example, get help for diabetes, high blood pressure, and quit smoking.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

Can I reduce my risk of stroke by controlling my blood pressure?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
In general, the lower your blood pressure, the lower your stroke risk. Blood pressure control is...
How does having one stroke increase the possibility of having another one?
Dr. Jeffrey L. Saver, MDDr. Jeffrey L. Saver, MD
Patients who have had one stroke are more likely to have another—10 times more likely than someone w...
Are women at a higher risk of stroke than men?
Centerpoint Medical CenterCenterpoint Medical Center
Women are at a higher lifetime risk of stroke than men. About 53 percent of all strokes in the US af...
How might risk factors for a stroke be identified?
SCAISCAI
Your primary care physician may be the first to determine that you have risk factors for a stroke. H...