Is race a risk factor for stroke?

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), stroke is more common and more deadly for African Americans than any other ethnic or racial group in the United States. Obviously, race is a risk factor you cannot change, but knowing you are at greater risk is a good reason to find out what things you can change to prevent stroke; for example, get help for diabetes, high blood pressure, and quit smoking.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

What increases my risk for a stroke?
Carolyn D. Brockington, MDCarolyn D. Brockington, MD
Risk factors for stroke include high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, heart disease and being inac...
Why is it risky to have low levels of HDL cholesterol?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
A low level of HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol limits the body's ability to protect blood...
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?
Are There Different Guidelines for Stroke Risk Between Men and Women?