How common are strokes in women?

A stroke happens when a blood clot travels to or forms in a part of the brain. Deprived of oxygen, the brain cells in the affected area die off. According to the National Stroke Association, up to half a million women experience a stroke (55% more than men) every year, and at least one out of five of these women die. What’s more, stroke is not a disease that discriminates by age. In fact, strokes are on the rise in young women by up to 40%. Lastly, women are more likely to die from a stroke than men partly because their symptoms can be less common and are more easily missed.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

What foods reduce the risk of stroke?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Stroke is the number-three cause of death in America and a leading cause of serious disability. ...
What is a cerebrovascular insufficiency?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
Cerebrovascular insufficiency is a condition where the blood flow to the brain is restricted due to ...
Can I reduce my risk of stroke by controlling my blood pressure?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
In general, the lower your blood pressure, the lower your stroke risk. Blood pressure control is...
How can having a heart attack increase my risk for stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Having a heart attack (myocardial infarction) can lead to an embolic stroke, the most common type of...