How can I assess my risk of stroke?

You can assess your risk of stroke by answering the questions below and adding up your score. Score one point for each "yes" answer:
  • Are you over 75 years of age?
  • Do you have high blood pressure?
  • Do you have diabetes?
  • Do you have heart failure?
  • Have you suffered from a stroke before, even a mild stroke? (Score two points if you answered "yes.")
A risk score of two or above may indicate that more clinical assessments are required. Discuss your risk factors and any symptoms with your doctor to determine the best treatment for your individual case.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

What are the risk factors of stroke I can't control?
Reza Jahan, MDReza Jahan, MD
There are some risk factors for stroke that you cannot control or change: Age. Strokes can happe...
Why is HDL cholesterol considered to be good?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol is considered to be good because it helps the body metabo...
4 Ways to Lower Dangerous Triglycerides
4 Ways to Lower Dangerous Triglycerides
Are There Different Guidelines for Stroke Risk Between Men and Women?