How does high blood pressure increase the risk of stroke?

Reza Jahan, MD
Neuroradiology
High blood pressure can increase your risk of stroke because over years it can damage blood vessels. Damaged blood vessels could burst and cause a type of stroke called a hemorrhagic, or bleeding, stroke.

The good news is that high blood pressure can be successfully treated by making lifestyle changes, such as reducing the amount of salt in your diet, and with medication. If you have high blood pressure, talk with your doctor about what you can do to reduce your risk of stroke.

Emilia Klapp
People with hypertension, or high blood pressure, are seven times more likely to have a stroke because of complications from making the heart work harder to pump blood. Blood pressure is how forcefully the blood bangs against the walls of the arteries. With hypertension, the heart pounds faster than it should to send nutrients and oxygen through the blood vessels. Over time, this increased pressure on the walls of the blood vessels can make them weak and form an aneurysm, or a ballooning of the artery. This ballooning may cause the blood vessel to rupture, causing internal bleeding; any bleeding into the brain or its surrounding areas causes a hemorrhagic stroke.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

How can being overweight or obese increase my risk for stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Being overweight or obese increases the risk of stroke. You are considered obese if your body mass i...
Do only older people have strokes?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability and the third leading cause of death in the United S...
Are There Different Guidelines for Stroke Risk Between Men and Women?
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?