How does chronic high blood pressure cause a stroke?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Chronic high blood pressure is one of the major risk factors for hemorrhagic strokes. Over time, high blood pressure weakens the blood vessels and arteries, making them more likely to burst. Talk to your doctor if you think you may be at risk for stroke as a result of high blood pressure.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

Is race a risk factor for stroke?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), stroke is more common and more deadly for Afr...
Can lack of exercise increase my risk for stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Lack of physical activity appears to raise the risk of stroke, according to several studies. The car...
Can sugary drinks increase my risk of stroke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Sugary beverages can damage more than your waistline. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller how women who ...
What are the risk factors for stroke in women?
Carolyn D. Brockington, MDCarolyn D. Brockington, MD
Risk factors for stroke can be different for women than men; blood clotting issues and migraines are...