Can quitting smoking lower my risk for stroke?

Quitting smoking is one of the cornerstones of stroke prevention. In one British study, people who had smoked fewer than 20 cigarettes daily before quitting lowered their risk after quitting to the level of those who had never smoked. Although heavier smokers who quit did not entirely eliminate their risk, they did reduce it. Results from both the Framingham Heart Study and Honolulu Heart Study confirm these findings. Switching from cigarettes to pipes or cigars doesn't reduce the risk of stroke at all.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

Is stroke less of a concern for women than breast cancer?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
According to the National Stroke Association, even though most women believe they are more at risk o...
Can lack of exercise increase my risk for stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Lack of physical activity appears to raise the risk of stroke, according to several studies. The car...
When Should a Woman with Heart Palpitations See a Doctor?
Are There Different Guidelines for Stroke Risk Between Men and Women?