Can hormone replacement therapy increase my risk for stroke?

The Women's Health Initiative found an increased risk of stroke among women who took either combined estrogen/progestin hormone therapy or estrogen-only therapy for menopause. The study also found an increased risk of blood clots from hormone therapy.

If you are considering hormone therapy to control menopausal symptoms, discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. Using this therapy on a short-term basis to relieve troubling symptoms such as hot flashes is generally considered safe. If you have had an ischemic stroke or a transient ischemic attack (TIA) the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA) guidelines do not recommend hormone therapy.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

How does high blood pressure affect my risk for stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Untreated hypertension (high blood pressure) is the leading cause of all types of stroke in the Unit...
Why are strokes more common in women than men?
We all know or have heard of someone who has suffered from the devastating effects of a stroke, whet...
Is the Level of Vitamin C in the Body Related to Stroke Risk?
If My Carotid Arteries Are Clogged, Am I At Risk for a Stroke?