How is a patient monitored in the period after a stroke?

In the intensive care unit (ICU), patients are monitored continuously for after-effects of the stroke post-treatment. An MRI is usually done at or around 24 hours to determine the extent of the stroke that is still present and if there are remnants of the originating clot.

In younger patients, the brain is at more risk when swelling occurs because it is physically larger. As people age, the brain naturally atrophies, giving it a small amount of room to swell in the event of a stroke. Patients are also carefully observed for signs of brain edema; that risk subsides after about five days.

Continue Learning about Stroke Recovery

How to Get on a Post-Stroke Recovery Plan
If you’re one of the seven million Americans who had a stroke, it’s never too late to improve your health. Quitting unhealthy habits, like smoking, an...
What is the prognosis for a stroke?
Strokes require emergency medical attention. Bleeding or blockages in the brain can cause lasting da...
What is the prognosis for recovery from a stroke?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The long-term effects of a stroke depend largely on how long the stroke lasted and what parts of the...
How can I help myself recover after a stroke?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
A strong will and dedication are crucial to recovery after a stroke. Stroke rehab can be very diffic...