How can my family help my recovery after a stroke?

Family members play a critical role in a person's recovery after a stroke. They can encourage attendance in outpatient therapy and give healthcare providers valuable feedback about progress. They also serve as a barometer of the person's mood, assessing whether the person is becoming withdrawn or depressed. Ongoing encouragement from both family and healthcare providers can play a key role in any successful rehabilitation process.

Both people who have had a stroke and caregivers can also benefit from participating in a stroke support group, which allows members to share feelings, ideas and resources with others whose lives have been affected by stroke. The American Stroke Association's website can help you find a support group.

Continue Learning about Stroke Recovery

How to Get on a Post-Stroke Recovery Plan
If you’re one of the seven million Americans who had a stroke, it’s never too late to improve your health. Quitting unhealthy habits, like smoking, an...
How is a patient monitored in the period after a stroke?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
In the intensive care unit (ICU), patients are monitored continuously for after-effects of the strok...
What is the prognosis for a stroke?
Strokes require emergency medical attention. Bleeding or blockages in the brain can cause lasting da...
How long do stroke patients have to be on blood thinners?
Phaniraj Iyengar, MDPhaniraj Iyengar, MD
Stroke patients do need to be on blood thinners for the rest of their lives, says Phaniraj Iyengar, ...