What lifestyle changes can I make to avoid a stroke?

Increasing physical activity, avoiding cigarette smoke and establishing a healthier diet are the most important lifestyle changes you can make to reduce your risk of stroke. For example, men who walk briskly 30 minutes per day for 5 days of the week have less than half the risk of stroke as their inactive counterparts. If you are a smoker, quitting is probably the most significant lifestyle change you can make, but secondhand smoke and air pollution should also be avoided, if possible. If you are a man who drinks more than two alcoholic beverages per day or a woman who drinks more than one, then reducing your alcohol consumption is a way to reduce your stroke risk. A healthier diet to reduce stroke risk includes more fruits, vegetables and fish in place of low-fiber/high-saturated fat foods. Cutting out high-sodium foods is an excellent way to reduce blood pressure and stroke risk.

Continue Learning about Stroke Prevention

What Foods Can Reduce a Woman's Risk of Stroke?
Can I Reduce My Risk for Stroke By Eating Certain Foods?
Eat an Onion a Day to Keep Strokes Away
Eat an Onion a Day to Keep Strokes Away
Can Eating Green Vegetables Prevent Stroke and Heart Attack?