Can olive oil lower my risk of stroke?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
Using olive oil for cooking, in salad dressing or with bread may lower your risk of stroke, according to a study of 7,625 people ages 65 and older, published in "Neurology." Participants were categorized according to their dietary olive oil consumption into "no use," "moderate use" and "intensive use." A moderate user was someone who used olive oil with cooking, as salad dressing or with bread, while an intensive user was someone who used olive oil for both cooking, as a dressing or with bread. After just over five years of follow-up there were 148 strokes. Intensive users of olive oil had a 41% lower risk of stroke compared with never-users. Studies like this one have shown that consuming olive oil also may protect against diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity and other cardiovascular risk factors; however, clinical trials are needed to confirm the data before we can rely on them as a basis for changing dietary advice.

Continue Learning about Stroke Prevention

Steps You Can Take to Prevent Stroke
Steps You Can Take to Prevent Stroke
In 1973, when 30-year-old Billie Jean King played the former #1 male tennis champ, 55-year-old Bobby Riggs, in the “Battle of the Sexes,” it was her r...
How can I decrease my chances of having a heart attack or stroke?
The best way to decrease your chances of a heart attack or stroke is by following a healthy lifestyl...
What medications can reduce my risk of stroke?
The blood thinner Coumadin (generic name warfarin) helps 2 million people in North America every day...
Can I Reduce My Risk for Stroke By Eating Certain Foods?