What is stroke rehabilitation?

Depending on a person's needs after a stroke, rehabilitation can take place in an acute care and rehabilitation hospital, in a long-term care facility, at home (with assistance provided through a home health agency) and/or at an outpatient facility. Talk to your doctor about the best approach for your situation, and look for a care facility that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).

The most effective rehabilitation programs involve a multidisciplinary approach: physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy, along with optimal medical care, in a calming environment and coordinated by a doctor with expertise in neurorehabilitation.

The ultimate goal is for individuals who have suffered a stroke to achieve the greatest degree of independence in the least restrictive environment possible. Time will be spent developing self-care skills such as feeding, grooming, bathing and dressing; mobility skills including walking or self-propelling a wheelchair; speech and language skills; memory or problem-solving skills and skills necessary for social interaction.

Continue Learning about Stroke Rehabilitation

What should I do if I had a stroke but plan to return to work?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, about 25 percent of stroke...
What is a stroke rehabilitation hospital?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Stroke rehabilitation hospitals include free-standing hospitals and special units in acute-care hosp...
What is the role of a physical therapist in stroke rehabilitation?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
A physical therapist evaluates and treats disorders relating to movement, balance, and coordination,...
How should I choose a stroke rehabilitation program?
Dr. Natalia S. Rost, MDDr. Natalia S. Rost, MD
You need to weigh a number of important factors when choosing a stroke rehabilitation program. Guide...