What is an outpatient stroke rehabilitation facility?

Outpatient stroke rehabilitation facilities allow you to live at home but come during the day for rehabilitation, generally at a hospital or other facility. Here, you will work with physicians and therapists who specialize in stroke rehabilitation. You usually spend several hours a day, several days a week, at the facility. Services include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and social or psychological counseling. To attend outpatient rehabilitation, you need to be physically able to travel between the facility and your home. Comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities offer more flexibility than inpatient facilities because the programs can be adjusted to your needs.

Continue Learning about Stroke Rehabilitation

When can I go home from the hospital after I've had a stroke?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
Patients generally stay in the hospital for two to three days after a stroke.
What are the benefits of occupational therapy in stroke rehabilitation?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Regaining the skills for everyday living is the goal of the widely established practice of occupatio...
What is the role of a rehabilitation nurse in stroke rehabilitation?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
A rehabilitation nurse helps you learn to carry out the activities involved in daily personal care. ...
What is a stroke rehabilitation hospital?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Stroke rehabilitation hospitals include free-standing hospitals and special units in acute-care hosp...