What exercises might I do during stroke rehabilitation?

Your exercise regimen during stroke rehabilitation will depend on your specific type of disability and may include some or all of the following: walking on a treadmill, walking up or down stairs, using hand or leg weights, and repeatedly bending and extending your arms and fingers. If you can't bear weight on your legs, you may practice walking and other exercises while partially supported by a harness, or in a swimming pool, where water can support some of your weight (hydrotherapy). The amount of time you spend in physical rehabilitation will depend on your needs and your stamina, but expect it to last at least a few weeks.

Continue Learning about Stroke Rehabilitation

What is stroke rehabilitation?
Depending on a person's needs after a stroke, rehabilitation can take place in an acute care and reh...
What should I do if I had a stroke but plan to return to work?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, about 25 percent of stroke...
What is the role of a recreational therapist in stroke rehabilitation?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
A recreational therapist helps you to get back to leisure activities that you enjoyed before your st...
How can intensive repetitive therapy help in stroke rehabilitation?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Large stroke rehabilitation programs are increasingly using intensive repetitive therapy to aid stro...