Do therapists and patients have different stroke rehabilitation goals?

Studies have shown that therapist may be aiming for small steps to help a patient adjust to a disability, while patients may be aiming for a return to their before-stroke functionality.

Reconciling these goals is important, so rehabilitation can be successful. In some cases, a goal may need to be as simple as learning how to properly operate a wheelchair.

Continue Learning about Stroke Rehabilitation

How long will stroke recovery take?
Dr. Natalia S. Rost, MDDr. Natalia S. Rost, MD
When you start rehabilitation, you will probably notice significant progress on a daily basis. By th...
What should I do if I had a stroke but plan to return to work?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, about 25 percent of stroke...
Which stroke patients need rehabilitation?
The need for rehabilitation after a stroke depends on the location and size of damage to the brain. ...
What are the benefits of occupational therapy in stroke rehabilitation?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Regaining the skills for everyday living is the goal of the widely established practice of occupatio...