What do I need to know about caring for someone with stridor?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you care for someone with stridor, you should consult a physician to diagnose the underlying health problem. If the sound becomes louder, if you notice a bluish color to their fingers and toes, or if they start vomiting, you need to seek immediate medical attention. For less severe cases, such as those associated with mild croup in children under three, steam treatments or cold mist can be used to reduce the symptoms.

Continue Learning about Stridor

Should I talk to my doctor about my stridor symptom?
Yes, you should contact a physician if you suspect you are experiencing stridor. Because this could ...
How common is stridor?
Stridor is more common among children. Their narrow airways make blockage more likely to occur. In c...
How do medications treat stridor?
Medications can be given to you orally or by injection to address the swelling in the larynx or othe...
What increases my risk for stridor?
Being a child puts you at risk for developing stridor. Children's air passages are narrower. They ar...