What is stridor?

Stridor refers to a musical-like, high-pitched sound or a gasping sound made when breathing. Stridor itself is not a disease but is suggestive of another health problem, such as croup in children. The noise can be heard when you inhale, unlike wheezing which is heard when you exhale. For young children stridor may be a sign of airway blockage and should be treated right away.

Continue Learning about Stridor

Should I talk to my doctor about my stridor symptom?
Yes, you should contact a physician if you suspect you are experiencing stridor. Because this could ...
How does stridor occur in the body?
Stridor occurs when the upper part of the respiratory system, including the windpipe and sinuses, is...
Does stridor affect children differently than adults?
Stridor doesn't affect adults and children differently. However, children are more likely to develop...
Are there alternative treatments for stridor?
Alternative treatments of stridor depend on the underlying cause. Stridor caused by croup can be tre...