What is stridor?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Stridor refers to a musical-like, high-pitched sound or a gasping sound made when breathing. Stridor itself is not a disease but is suggestive of another health problem, such as croup in children. The noise can be heard when you inhale, unlike wheezing which is heard when you exhale. For young children stridor may be a sign of airway blockage and should be treated right away.

Continue Learning about Stridor

What causes stridor?
Stridor occurs when the larynx or throat becomes blocked. The blockage can occur for many reasons, i...
What increases my risk for stridor?
Being a child puts you at risk for developing stridor. Children's air passages are narrower. They ar...
How does stridor affect my diagnosis?
Because stridor can be a symptom of different types of health problems, its presence helps doctors f...
How do medications treat stridor?
Medications can be given to you orally or by injection to address the swelling in the larynx or othe...