Who should do stretching exercises?

Wendy Batts
Fitness

Everyone should stretch! Stretching is a great way to introduce needed motion in areas that tighten up because of our daily posture and repetitive movements. It’s also a perfect addition to your workout warm up and cool down routines. There are many types of stretching, but the one most people should start with is static stretching, where an end position is held for 20 seconds or more. If new to stretching, incorporate 2-3 stretches prior to your workout and focus on areas like the hips, calves and shoulders.

Be sure to keep your breathing consistent and stretch to a point of tension, never to a point of pain. If you have any conditions that would be made worse by stretching such as acute injuries, musculoskeletal disorders or high blood pressure please be sure to consult your healthcare provider prior to beginning a stretching program.

This is your final answer, everyone should be stretching.  Stretching helps improve your flexibility and range of motion of joints.  It doesn't matter if you are a stay at home mother or an athlete everyone needs to stretch.  Life is what makes us inflexible throughout the day.  I always tell my clients to stretch everyday which only takes about 5-10 minutes out of your day.  Keeping your stretching up will help your body improve over time and also prevent you from some serious injuries.  So just like you brush your teeth everyday you should stretch as well.

Everyone should do stretching exercises each and every day. Stretching helps keep you limber, joints moving freely, releases tension in the muscles and helps in correcting posture.  

If it’s a workout day, take 5 to 10 minutes before and after your workout. On off days spend a good 30 minutes on a total body stretching routine. You will definitely see and feel the difference.

Everyone should include stretching exercises into  their daily routine. Stretching improves flexibility, joint range of motion, strength and decreases injury risk. Those who perform repetitive motion or stay in static postures for long periods of time should really focus on stretching. Some studies have shown that stretching also has a psychological benefit as well. Stress has been shown to reduce sadness by decreasing stress-related hormones.  

The use of stretching, like any other form of exercise, should be pursued with an understanding of any potential risks involved.  There are certain precautions and contraindications to stretching:  

Take caution:                    

• Seniors
  • High blood pressure
  • Neuromuscular disorders

Do not perform during:

• Acute injury
  • Acute Rheumatoid arthritis

Everyone should do stretching exercises to some degree! Everyone will have their limitations but this is a very important part of Health & Fitness. Joint mobility is extremely important to overall health and stretching is an important part of this.

With the advances in technology, we are seeing more postural imbalances and an increase in Sedentary Lifestyles. Stretching is a key component in injury prevention.

Stretching helps to maintain and improve range of motion around a joint. It is important for everyone to stretch on a regular basis.
Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Everyone can and should stretch, although many people are initially reluctant to begin a stretching regimen. They say things like: "Oh, I've always been tight. I don't need to stretch. It's just how I'm built. I'm not flexible."

In fact, nothing could be further from the truth, although everyone has limitations. A 60-year-old man, who has never stretched before and can barely bend over and touch his knees, let alone his toes, is unlikely to ever become a competitive gymnast or yoga master. However, he can and should improve his flexibility. Even a modest improvement in flexibility can have a profound impact on joint problems.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Stretching

Best Ways to Stretch Your Neck and Shoulders
Is your neck achy? Are your shoulders sore? Think about how much time you've spent at your computer or on your smartphone today. Turns out, there's a ...
How can I stretch my lower back?
To stretch your lower back and the back of your legs, try the single knee pull exercise:Start by lyi...
I wake up each morning with a stiff neck; what can I do?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
If you wake up with a stiff neck, more than likely you are sleeping wrong; your neck is not being su...
How Do I Stretch My Chest and Arm Muscles?