When should I stretch during a workout?

Rose Reisman
The latest research shows that stretching after your exercise is more effective than before since your muscles are warmed up. When you stretch before, you can injure yourself since your muscles aren't yet flexible. To reap the benefits, a stretch should be held for at least fifteen seconds.
Rose Reisman's Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss: With 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Success

For the journey toward healthier living. Losing weight can be a constant and frustrating struggle. Rose Reisman's Permanent Weight Loss Solutions creates a blueprint for lifelong weight control that...
It is best to stretch muscles that are warmed-up. Begin with foam rolling, do some light stretching, then move on to your workout. You can get deeper into the muscles and get a good stretch after the workout.

Does a 5-minute low intensity cardio workout to warm the muscles then stretch and again after your workout routine whether it’s a cardio day or lifting day that way muscle are brought back to extensibility.

Stretching should be completed before and after a workout. There are different forms of stretching that you can implement before your workout. If you have muscles that feel tight or if your job requires you to be seated for most of the day, it is beneficial to include static stretches (stretches that are held for 30 seconds) prior to the cardiorespiratory warm-up as well as in the cool-down portion of the workout. If you just want to feel loose and ready for the workout ahead and are not feeling tight, incorporate dynamic stretches, which are stretches that help you move through a full range of motion and are not held for any length of time. Examples of great static stretches to start and end your workout are: calf stretch, hip stretch, and back stretch. Dynamic stretches that are great for a warm-up are: squats, lunges, and push-ups with rotation.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Best Ways to Stretch Your Neck and Shoulders
Is your neck achy? Are your shoulders sore? Think about how much time you've spent at your computer or on your smartphone today. Turns out, there's a ...
I wake up each morning with a stiff neck; what can I do?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
If you wake up with a stiff neck, more than likely you are sleeping wrong; your neck is not being su...
What should I avoid when doing the TFL-and-quadriceps stretch exercise?
One thing you should avoid when stretching the quadriceps is sitting on both knees and leaning b...
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?