What should I avoid when doing the neck extensor stretch exercise?

When stretching the neck extensors, make sure you relax and don’t tense up your muscles as you’re stretching. Doing this could inadvertently trigger a muscle spasm or cramp. Also, avoid fast, jerky movement, this again, could cause muscle spasms.
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Common errors when doing the neck extensor stretch (an exercise that improves range of motion in your neck and restores the neck-extensor muscles to their proper lengths) include:
  • Focusing on nodding the chin forward rather than lengthening the muscles in the back of the neck may activate a forward-head position.
  • If your shoulder pain increases when your arms are overhead, rest your arms on pillows to find a comfortable position.
  • Don't move your arms too rapidly before correcting neck extension. Move slowly to be sure you are performing the exercise correctly.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Stretching

The Best Time to Stretch
The Best Time to Stretch
Most people agree that stretching is good for your muscles. But should you do it before or after exercise? When are you likely to reap the most benefi...
When should I stretch?
It is recommended to stretch before and after your workout. Before and after activity use static str...
How can I stretch my ribcage?
To stretch your ribcage and shoulder area, try the arm reach exercise:Start by sitting up in a comfo...
A Better Warm Up and Cool Down
A Better Warm Up and Cool Down