What should I avoid during directed stretching exercises?

As with most types of stretching, avoid jerky or bouncy movements. Don’t stretch too far, or for too long a period of time (longer than 30 seconds). Directed stretches should be slow and progressive, and keep the joint in its proper position. Each repetition should yield a little more flexibility.

Continue Learning about Stretching

What stretches can I do as a warm-up to reduce my chance of being injured?
A few stretches that most people can use are calf complex, hip flexor complex, lats, and pecs. Due t...
What stretches should I do after jogging for an hour?
Mr. Donovan GreenMr. Donovan Green
It is very important to stretch your hamstrings before and after you run. One of the best stretches ...
How can I stretch my lower back?
A great stretch for the lower back is the erector spinae stretch.  Perform the erector spinae stre...
How can I decrease the tension I feel in my outer thighs?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
That is a great question because so many of our kinetic chain or gait issues are caused by excessive...