What basic warm-up exercises can I do to get my entire body going?

A general dynamic warm up will help increase performance and help decrease the risk of injury. A dynamic warm up will serve multiple purposes including increasing the body temperature and the joints and ligaments for activity, and will also prime the body and neurological system for the complex movements of weightlifting. A good warm up for weightlifting should begin with very generalized movements and move towards more specific ones. Start with riding a stationary bike for 2-5 minutes to warm up the body, and follow with dynamic movements to help guide the bodies joints through their natural range of motion. Arm circles front and back are a good example for the arms. Leg swings like a pendulum (side to side) and front to back (like a kicker) will help loosen up the hips and hamstrings. Prisoner squats will help prepare the knees. Finally many lifters finish their warm up by performing the basic transitions of the Olympic lifts starting with a clean pull and progressing into a full squat clean with just a bar or a snatch pull and progressing through the skill progressions into a full snatch.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
In October of 2008, a mare named Donnaguska entered her first race at Hawthorne Race Course in Cicero, IL. The announcer noted that the inexperienced ...
How can I stretch my lats?
A great way to stretch the lats is to perform the ball lat stretch.  Use the technique described b...
Are there stretches I can perform at home, the office, or a in hotel room?
Absolutely! One the great things about stretching is that little to no additional equipment is requi...
Dr. Oz Shares His Shoulder Stretch for the Shower