Are there specific stretches I can do to prevent hip pain from occurring?

Wendy Batts
Fitness

Hip pain can be a tricky thing and can have many causes. If you have hip pain, be sure to check with your healthcare provider first before beginning any exercise program and engaging in any corrective flexibility. Many of us have jobs that require prolonged sitting. This places the hip in prolonged flexion causing the hip flexors (muscles located in the front of your hip) to become overactive and shortened. This can be a primary culprit that causes hip discomfort. Try the stretch below a few times a day and prior to your workouts to help restore the muscles proper length. Good luck!

A hip flexor static stretch…

1. take one step forward
2. point the back foot’s toes at the forward foot’s heel (i.e. point it inward)
3. squeeze your butt so that your low back flattens and rounds a bit   (pretending you are a scared dog with its tail between its legs helps and just plain feels silly too)
4. keep the abs tight and bend the forward knee until you feel a stretch at the front of the hip on the same side as the back foot
5. hold this position for 20-30 seconds

Yes, the hip stretch is a very important stretch to help prevent hip pain. Since most of us stay in a seated position all day these muscles can become very tight, causing problems throughout the body including hip pain, low back pain, and even knee pain. When performing the hip flexor stretch, make sure to hold the stretch for at least 30 seconds. This will give the muscles enough time to relax and elongate. Please keep in mind that stretching alone may not prevent all hip pain from occurring. Staying relatively active (30 minutes of moderate activity per day), maintaining a healthy body weight, and eating a healthy diet rich in vitamins, minerals, fruits, veggies, and lean protein are also important for preventing joint pain.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Best Ways to Stretch Your Neck and Shoulders
Is your neck achy? Are your shoulders sore? Think about how much time you've spent at your computer or on your smartphone today. Turns out, there's a ...
For how long should I hold a calf stretch?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Static streching is a good technique to relax and lengthen your muscles. You should hold all stati...
What should I avoid when doing the neck extensor stretch exercise?
When stretching the neck extensors, make sure you relax and don’t tense up your muscles as you’r...
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?