Should I stretch as part of my warm-up?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness

Stretching is a key part of preparing the body for exercise. Spending a few minutes warming the entire body for a workout is the best way to maximize the benefits of exercising and prevent injury. It is important to start slow, especially if you are working out first thing in the morning. Muscles need time to wake up. Choose stretches that work the front and back body in equal proportion. In our barre3 classes, we begin class with a 5 minute warm-up that prepares all of the anatomical platforms from the head and neck to the shoulders, hips, knees and feet. We open the chest and sides of the waist and lengthen the spine.  From here we move into more cardiovascular movements which raise the heart rate and continue to warm the body. Focusing on breath, and giving the body lots of oxygen is also important as you work through your stretch series. Think of it as fuel for your muscles!

Yes, stretching will decrease your chance of getting injured. The warm-up should take about 5-10 minutes of your time. The best way to determine what muscles need to be stretched and what muscles need to be strengthened is by doing a movement assessment. Based on the assessment you will be able to stretch the correct muscles to help you perform better and burn more calories if you are trying to lose weight.
Wendy Batts
Fitness
Yes! Stretching is a great addition to any warm-up plan. Static stretching is one of the most common flexibility techniques and it serves to lengthen muscle tissues that are found to be too short or tight based on a movement assessment. Static stretching involves passively moving a joint into position and holding that position for 20-30 seconds. Be sure to stretch the muscles that you know to be tight based on a movement assessment. Stretching muscles that have not been identified as needing lengthening may actually get in the way of solid exercise performance. Contact a qualified fitness professional for more information on how to perform movement assessments and interpret their results.

Stretching the right muscles helps to increase the mobility of restricted joints. Tight muscles will pull joints out of alignment so relaxing them will get them ready by putting them in more ideal ranges of motion. This can reduce the risk of injury and improve the way your body uses muscles to coordinate movement.
Beth Oliver
Fitness

Yes, stretching should be part of your warm-up. Use active or dynamic stretching that gently move you through the ranges of motion that you will be doing, rather than static or held stretches. Do static stretching at the end of your workout when your body is warm and mobile.

Yes, you should definitely stretch as part of your warm-up; however, different types of stretching have different benefits, so you want to make sure to choose the type that is right for you.  Three types of stretching you can perform before exercise include self-myofascial release (foam rolling), static stretching, and dynamic stretching.  Self-myofascial release, often called foam-rolling (after the foam roller device used to perform it) is a form of stretching that focuses not only on the muscles but the fascia, which is the connective tissue that surrounds our muscles.  The gentle pressure that is applied to our muscles while we foam roll helps to eliminate tension and reduce the impact of "knots" or tender spots that develop in the tissue.  Eliminating unwanted tension and tender spots within the muscles helps them to lengthen and shorten more appropriately, allowing greater ranges of motion to be achieved during exercise.  Static stretching, probably the most well-known and utilized form of stretching,  involves passively and gently taking a muscle to the first point of tension and then holding it in that position for up to 30 seconds.  Static stretching works well at helping to restore length to tight muscles. If being performed as a pre-activity warm-up, make sure to use static stretching only on tight muscles because static stretching muscles that are not tight can cause a decrease in performance and/or increase injury risk.  Provided there are no muscle imbalances present, dynamic stretching is the most ideal way to stretch when warming up, becauses it uses the force production of the  muscles and momentum during various movements to take the joints through their full, available range of motion better preparing them for the resistance training routine.  So, if you have some muscles that are short and tight, perform foam rolling and static stretching on them first, followed by some dynamic stretching immediately afterward.  If no muscle imbalances exist, perform foam rolling first followed by dynamic stretching immediately before your workout.   

Continue Learning about Stretching

Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
In October of 2008, a mare named Donnaguska entered her first race at Hawthorne Race Course in Cicero, IL. The announcer noted that the inexperienced ...
What should I avoid when doing the neck extensor stretch exercise?
When stretching the neck extensors, make sure you relax and don’t tense up your muscles as you’r...
What are some leg stretches?
The legs should be included in any flexibility program because they are what initiates functional mo...
How Do I Stretch My Chest and Arm Muscles?