How do I know if I need to stretch my calf muscles?

Normally,if your calves feel tight they probably are tight and should be stretched. If you wear high heels or shoes with an elevated heel, then you most likely have tight calves. Shoes such as these place your heels higher than the front of your foot, and because your calf muscle attaches to your heels, that muscle is continually put in a shortened position and can become tight. Try this basic self-assessment on your own: try to squat down to the height of a chair while keeping your feet straight ahead. If it's difficult to do and you need to turn your feet out to squat lower, then you need to stretch your calves. Having to turn your feet out means that you lack range of motion at your ankles and that is typically due to tight calves.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Best Ways to Stretch Your Neck and Shoulders
Is your neck achy? Are your shoulders sore? Think about how much time you've spent at your computer or on your smartphone today. Turns out, there's a ...
Do I need to stretch before exercising?
Mark Dickey , NASM Elite TrainerMark Dickey , NASM Elite Trainer
If you are not correcting a dysfunction, stretching prior to working out is not necessary, but a tot...
Is stretching going to help me tone-up?
Yes, stretching can help you tone-up assuming you follow your stretches with strengthening exercises...
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?