How can I stretch my quadriceps?

There are several methods to stretch your quadriceps, for example:
  • While laying on your stomach, grab the foot of the leg you want to stretch. Bend the knee and pull the foot toward your back. Pull until you feel a stretch in the front of your thigh.
  • Standing on the leg you do not want to stretch: bend the knee of the leg you want to stretch, grab the foot of the leg to be stretched behind you, and pull it toward your back. Pull until you feel a stretch, keeping your trunk upright.
This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.
A great stretch for the quadriceps (muscles on the front of the thigh) and for the muscles that flex your hip is the side-lying hip flexor stretch. To perform this stretch, begin by assuming a side-lying position. Next, grab the ankle of your top leg with your top hand and bend your top knee. Pull your heel toward your butt until a mild stretch is felt in the front of the thigh and hip.  Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 1 to 3 times on each leg.
Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Here's how to stretch your quadriceps:

1. Stand with feet together and hips straight.

2. Bend your right knee back and take the front of your right foot in your right hand.

3. Keeping your knees even (i.e., do not let your right knee swing forward), bend your right knee back. You will feel a stretch in the front of your leg from above your hip to your knee. Do not allow your posture to curve forward but keep standing straight up.

4. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and then relax.

5. Repeat this four times and then switch to the left quad.
Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

It's one of the undeniable facts of life. After we reach a certain age, our bodies change. No matter how fit we may have been at 20, we're very different people after 40. But growing older doesn't...

Continue Learning about Stretching

How Do I Stretch My Chest and Arm Muscles?
When During My Workout Would I Use a Foam Roller?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?