How can I stretch my shoulders?

There are 2 very good stretches for the shoulder muscles. They are the latissimus dorsi stretch and the pectoral stretch. These two stretches stretch back muscles and chest muscles and will also target rotator cuff muscles. Here is how to perform these stretches:

Static Latissimus Dorsi Ball Stretch

Preparation

• Kneel in front of a stability ball.
  • Place one arm on ball, with thumb pointed straight up in the air.

Movement

• Draw navel inward
  • Slight round your back
  • Slowly reach the arm straight out by rolling the ball forward.
  • Hold for 30 seconds.
  • Switch sides and repeat

Technique

• If this stretch causes any pinching in the shoulder, perform the stretch with the palm down on the ball.
  • To increase the stretch, move the arm slightly across the body slightly.

Place the back side of your right hand just above your right hip. Standing up straight, clasp your right elbow with your left hand (if you can't do this, slide your right hand behind your lower back until you can reach your elbow). Gently pull your elbow toward your belly button and take five deep breaths into your upper chest, then exhale slowly. Keep your chest lifted and shoulders even. Do the same on the other side.

A good stretch for the shoulders is the standing posterior shoulder stretch. Use the technique described below to perform this stretch. Start with your feet placed hip-width apart and your arms hanging at your sides. Next, cross one arm over your chest toward the opposite shoulder and hold it with the opposite arm. You should feel a stretch in the back of the shoulder area and into the upper back on the side of the body of the arm that is crossed. Hold the stretch for at least 30 seconds and then repeat on the other side. For example, to stretch the right arm move your right arm in front of your body and across your chest while holding it in place with your left forearm. Other stretches that will target the shoulders include the side-lying posterior shoulder stretch, standing chest stretch, and the ball lat stretch.

Continue Learning about Stretching

How Do I Stretch My Chest and Arm Muscles?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
When During My Workout Would I Use a Foam Roller?