How do I stretch my piriformis?

A great stretch that I perform almost daily includes lying on your back with your knees bent and heels towards your hips. Next, cross one leg over the next, for example, take your right leg and cross over your left. Next grab under your kneecap on your left leg and pull that leg towards you. The feeling of this stretch is great! If you want a deeper stretch, slightly press on the knee of the leg crossed, for this example, your right knee and you will be able to feel a deeper stretch!  Enjoy!

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The piriformis is one of the muscles in the hip area, and it is common for it to become tight. Lie on your back with both knees bent to 90 degrees. Place your right foot in front of your left knee so that it comes to rest on the knee. Next, gently pull your left thigh toward your chest, feeling the stretch in the back of your right buttock. This may be an awkward position to get into at first, but it is a wonderful stretch, once you understand how to do it. Remember, stretching should not be painful, so stop if it is. However, try to go slowly, and gently move until you feel the stretch in the back of your buttock. Hold the pose for 20 seconds. Repeat on the other side. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat the entire procedure 3 times.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Stretching

Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
In October of 2008, a mare named Donnaguska entered her first race at Hawthorne Race Course in Cicero, IL. The announcer noted that the inexperienced ...
Is there a stretch I can do to help improve my posture?
Improving posture will typically require a mix of flexibility and strengthening exercises. The first...
How can I stretch my shoulders?
Joshua J. StoneJoshua J. Stone
There are 2 very good stretches for the shoulder muscles. They are the latissimus dorsi stretch and ...
A Better Warm Up and Cool Down
A Better Warm Up and Cool Down