How should I stretch my hamstrings?

There are several methods to stretch your hamstrings, for example:
  • Lie on your back in a doorway with your feet in one room and the rest of your body in the second room. With your knee straight, place the foot of the leg you want to stretch up on the wall beside the doorway. Scoot your butt toward / through the doorway until you feel a stretch in the back of your thigh.
  • Lie on your back and have someone push the leg you want to stretch up in the air, keeping your knee straight. He should push the leg up until you feel a stretch in the back of your thigh. If you do not have a partner to help, you can use a rope or towel to pull your leg up into the air.
This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Holding weights, stand with your feet more than shoulder-width apart and toes pointed to sides. Bend forward and drop both hands toward your right ankle. Relax your upper body and let your head dangle loosely, releasing the tension in your neck. Keep your legs straight; don't bend your knees in an effort to touch your toes. Hold for 20 seconds; switch sides and repeat.

A great way to stretch each individual hamstring will be to complete the following:

• While standing, take one foot and bring it slightly in front of the other. Next, have the foot in front of you up on the heel. Keep the foot in front straight as you slowly bend at your hip and knee of the leg in back leaning backwards. As you do this, the hamstring of the leg in front should feel a pull, the stretch.  The deeper you sit and the deeper the stretch. Hold for 20-30 seconds per side.

Continue Learning about Stretching

When During My Workout Would I Use a Foam Roller?
How Do I Stretch My Chest and Arm Muscles?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?