How do I do the hamstring stretch exercise while standing?

To best perform the seated hamstring stretch sit on a stability ball, with feet placed flat on the floor. While keeping your back flat and spine in a neutral position, slightly lean forward.

After the slight forward lean, straighten your knees by pushing your feet in to the ground and rolling the stability ball back.

You should feel a gentle stretch in the back of the legs. Hold the position for 30 seconds before returning to the start position. Perform 2 sets of 30 second stretches, 2-3 times daily.

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The hamstring stretch exercise stretches tight hamstrings responsible for poor pelvic motion while bending forward. Hamstring stretches also strengthen the back extensor muscles to keep the spine from excessively flexing. This exercise will help you develop awareness of excessive spinal flexion during daily activities.

To perform the hamstring stretch exercise while standing, stand with your left foot on a low step with your knee straight. Place your hands on your hips and bend forward from the pelvis until you feel the stretch in the hamstring at the back of your left leg. Be sure your spine is not flexing; instead, maintain a straight spine to strengthen your paraspinal muscles. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and repeat on the other side. Alternate 2 to 5 times per leg.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

Continue Learning about Stretching

Best Ways to Stretch Your Neck and Shoulders
Is your neck achy? Are your shoulders sore? Think about how much time you've spent at your computer or on your smartphone today. Turns out, there's a ...
How do I stretch the back of my neck?
Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart.  Keep your knees slight...
Why is it important to stretch my calf muscles?
The calf is comprised of two muscles the gastrocnemius and soleus which fuse at the Achilles tendon ...
The Exercise to Do for a Stress-Free Morning