How do I do the hamstring stretch exercise while sitting?

Sit on a sturdy chair and rest your right ankle on your left knee. Next, rest your right hand on your right ankle and your right elbow on your right knee. Lean forward and press your lower back toward your right calf while keeping your back straight. Look straight ahead. Hold for 15 seconds; reverse sides and repeat.

To perform a hamstring stretch while sitting, extend your leg out in front of you, actively pulling your foot towards your knee. Once in position, reach forward with the same-side hand, and try to touch your toe. You should feel a stretch in the back of your leg. Hold this for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side. Do this 2-3 times on both sides.

Continue Learning about Stretching

How do I perform a low back stretch with cross leg?
it with one leg extended in front of your body and your opposite leg crossed over the other, place y...
Should stretching hurt when I do it?
No, stretching should not hurt. Feeling pain during a stretch indicates that you have stretched too ...
I wake up each morning with a stiff neck; what can I do?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
If you wake up with a stiff neck, more than likely you are sleeping wrong; your neck is not being su...
Can stretching actually decrease performance?
Yes and no. Static stretching, when performed acutely (once in a while), may decrease strength and p...