How do I do the hamstring stretch exercise while sitting?

Sit on a sturdy chair and rest your right ankle on your left knee. Next, rest your right hand on your right ankle and your right elbow on your right knee. Lean forward and press your lower back toward your right calf while keeping your back straight. Look straight ahead. Hold for 15 seconds; reverse sides and repeat.

To perform a hamstring stretch while sitting, extend your leg out in front of you, actively pulling your foot towards your knee. Once in position, reach forward with the same-side hand, and try to touch your toe. You should feel a stretch in the back of your leg. Hold this for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side. Do this 2-3 times on both sides.
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The hamstring stretch exercise stretches tight hamstrings responsible for poor pelvic motion while bending forward. Hamstring stretches also strengthen the back extensor muscles to keep the spine from excessively flexing. This exercise will help you develop awareness of excessive spinal flexion during daily activities.

To perform the hamstring stretch exercise while sitting, it's best to have a support to rest your spine against to help you monitor whether your spine is flexing during this exercise. Sit on a table with your back against a wall or in a high chair. Let your feet dangle or rest on the floor. Slowly straighten your left knee, making sure your spine does not flex. Create a stiff, straight spine; this will let you feel tightness in your hamstring sooner and more intensely. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and repeat on the other side. Alternate 2 to 5 times per leg.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

Continue Learning about Stretching

Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
In October of 2008, a mare named Donnaguska entered her first race at Hawthorne Race Course in Cicero, IL. The announcer noted that the inexperienced ...
How do I perform a low back stretch with cross leg?
it with one leg extended in front of your body and your opposite leg crossed over the other, place y...
How do I know if I need to stretch my calf muscles?
Normally,if your calves feel tight they probably are tight and should be stretched. If you wear high...
The Exercise to Do for a Stress-Free Morning