How can I stretch my gluteals?

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Here's how to do a gluteal stretch:

Reps: 3-4
Sets: 1
Intensity: Moderate
Hold: 10-30 seconds
Rest: No rest needed

Starting position: Lie on your back with your right knee bent and your foot on the floor. Rest your left ankle on your right kneecap. Your left knee should point toward the wall.

Movement: Hold the back of the right thigh with both hands and slowly lift your right foot up off the floor until you feel the stretch in your left hip and buttock. Hold. Return to the starting position, then repeat on the opposite side. This is one rep. Continue alternating leg positions until you finish all reps.

Tips and techniques:
  • Stretch to the point of mild tension, not pain.
  • Relax your shoulders down and back into the floor.
  • Breathe comfortably.
Too hard? Lie on your back with both knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Cross your right knee over your left knee and pull your knees in toward your chest. Repeat with your left knee crossed over your right knee. This is one rep.

Too easy? Lie on your back with your right knee bent and your foot on the floor. Rest your left ankle on your right kneecap. Clasp your right knee with both hands and lift your right foot up off the floor. Repeat with your right ankle on your left kneecap. This is one rep.

Continue Learning about Stretching

The Best Time to Stretch
The Best Time to Stretch
Most people agree that stretching is good for your muscles. But should you do it before or after exercise? When are you likely to reap the most benefi...
How do I stretch my piriformis?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
The piriformis is one of the muscles in the hip area, and it is common for it to become tight. Lie o...
Is partner stretching safe?
Yes, however, the safety of partner stretching really depends on both individual's understanding of ...
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?