How can I stretch my calves?

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Here's how to do a standing lower calf stretch:

Reps: 3-4
Sets: 1
Intensity: Light
Hold: 10-30 seconds
Rest: No rest needed

Starting position: Stand up straight in front of a wall with your arms extended at shoulder height.

Movement: Place your hands on the wall. Extend your right leg straight back and press the heel toward the floor. Let your left leg bend as you do so. Hold. Return to the starting position, then repeat with your left leg. Continue alternating feet until you finish all reps.

Tips and techniques:
  • Stretch to the point of mild tension, not pain.
  • Hold a full-body lean from the ankle as you stretch.
  • Maintain neutral posture with your shoulders down and back.
Too hard? Hold the back of a chair and do not press as far into the stretch.

Too easy? Try to move the heel farther back without lifting your heel off the floor. This increases the stretch.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Stretching

Stretching

Stretching should be performed at the beginning of any exercise or workout. It elongates and strengthens muscle preparing them for exercise and reduces the risk of injury. There are stretching exercises for the back, legs, arms, n...

eck … the whole body. Foam-rolling, static stretching and dynamic stretching are the three categories of the warm-up stretching or cool-down process.