How can I activate my hamstrings after static stretching?

Static stretching is important prior to practice particularly if you have muscle imbalances. A good exercise to activate your hamstrings after static stretching would be a single-leg Romanian deadlift. This not only targets the hamstrings, but also incorporates your gluteal musculature which work hand-in-hand to perform proper hip movement and control the legs. To perform the single-leg Romanian deadlift, stand on one leg with a slight bend at the knee and hip. Bend at the hip while maintaining a slight bend at the knee and lower yourself down towards the ground; with the opposite hand, reach down towards the foot you are balancing on. Squeeze your glutes and hamstrings and bring yourself back up to the starting position and repeat. Perform 1-2 sets, with 10-12 repetitions on each leg. You can also do 10-12 repetitions total (5-6 on each leg) depending on your capabilities.

Continue Learning about Stretching

What are the different forms of stretching?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Stretching has different forms, but is more commonly associated with static stretching (i.e. hol...
What are FITT guidelines for stretching?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The FITT acronym can remind you to slightly alter the Frequency, Intensity, Time (duration), and Typ...
Is there a stretch I can do to help improve my posture?
Improving posture will typically require a mix of flexibility and strengthening exercises. The first...
How can hip injuries be prevented?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
Hip injuries can be prevented by avoiding traumatic events like a fall or weather hazards.