How can I activate my hamstrings after static stretching?

Static stretching is important prior to practice particularly if you have muscle imbalances. A good exercise to activate your hamstrings after static stretching would be a single-leg Romanian deadlift. This not only targets the hamstrings, but also incorporates your gluteal musculature which work hand-in-hand to perform proper hip movement and control the legs. To perform the single-leg Romanian deadlift, stand on one leg with a slight bend at the knee and hip. Bend at the hip while maintaining a slight bend at the knee and lower yourself down towards the ground; with the opposite hand, reach down towards the foot you are balancing on. Squeeze your glutes and hamstrings and bring yourself back up to the starting position and repeat. Perform 1-2 sets, with 10-12 repetitions on each leg. You can also do 10-12 repetitions total (5-6 on each leg) depending on your capabilities.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Which Stretches Are Most Beneficial Before Going on a Walk?
Photo Credit: Rob, via Flickr Creative Commons Do you stretch before you walk? Do you know how to breathe properly when stretching? Did you know your...
How can I stretch my gluteals?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do a gluteal stretch: Reps: 3-4 Sets: 1 Intensity: Moderate Hold: 10-30 seconds Res...
What are some leg stretches?
The legs should be included in any flexibility program because they are what initiates functional mo...
Dr. Oz Shares His Shoulder Stretch for the Shower