I wake up each morning with a stiff neck; what can I do?

Steven Shoshany, DC
Chiropractic Medicine
If you wake up with a stiff neck, more than likely you are sleeping wrong; your neck is not being supported properly. In this video, chiropractor Steven Shoshany, DC, explains why the right neck support is key, and how seeing a chiropractor can help.

To help avoid neck pain in the morning make sure you're sleeping with a pillow that properly supports your head and neck in the correct position. A fantastic exercise to do to alleviate a stiff neck is the upper trapezius stretch before and after every workout. When performing this technique, make sure you do not stretch too far. It should be a comfortable stretch that you hold for approximately 30 seconds. This will give your neck muscles enough time to relax and lengthen. Stop immediately if you experience pain during this stretch or tingling in your arm.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
In October of 2008, a mare named Donnaguska entered her first race at Hawthorne Race Course in Cicero, IL. The announcer noted that the inexperienced ...
What should I avoid when doing the neck extensor stretch exercise?
When stretching the neck extensors, make sure you relax and don’t tense up your muscles as you’r...
What are some leg stretches?
The legs should be included in any flexibility program because they are what initiates functional mo...
When During My Workout Would I Use a Foam Roller?