What is the best hamstring stretch?

One of the best hamstring stretches you can do is the 90/90 stretch. It requires you to lay on your back and extend the leg you’d like to stretch, while holding the thigh with your hands. If you’re having a hard time gaining flexibility in your hamstrings, you should consider laying on a foam roll before doing the stretch.

By laying on the foam roll, you signal the tissue surrounding the muscle and the muscle rolled to relax and let go. The muscle will be much more “willing” to lengthen after it’s been inhibited by foam rolling!

Place the foam roll on the spot that feels most tender in your hamstring for at least 30 seconds, and directly follow it with a static stretch of at least 30 seconds. In this case, the 90/90 stretch is perfect!

Active Isolated Stretching (AIS)

and Self Myofascial Release are my go to stretches for the hamstrings. To stretch the hamstring using AIS, simply lay on your back with both legs extended. Take a towel or small rope and wrap around the ball of your foot and use as assistance when actively moving one leg to the sky/towards your head. When you feel general tightness, hold for two counts..return and repeat. I suggest 10 reps with each leg to start.
I've included a video for Self Myofascial Release (foam roll) as another option.
I'd also suggest you stretch everything from the ground up to ensure your tight hammies are not a result of an issue elsewhere. 

Continue Learning about Stretching

How Do I Stretch My Chest and Arm Muscles?
When During My Workout Would I Use a Foam Roller?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?