My neck feels very stiff; what can I do pre-workout?

Before you begin your workout, make sure you go through a comprehensive warm-up consisting of flexibility and light strengthening exercises. This will help prepare the tissues of your body for the stresses of the workout that are to follow. An example warm-up consists of static stretching for your latissimus dorsi, chest, and neck. Hold each stretch for approximately 30 seconds. This will allow the tissues enough time to relax and lengthen, improving overall range of motion. After stretching, perform a few light strengthening exercises for your upper body such as the ball dumbbell scaption, standing cable external rotation, and a squat to row exercise.

Continue Learning about Stretching

How do I stretch my chest muscles?
A great way to stretch the chest muscles is to perform a standing chest stretch.  This stretch c...
Should partner stretching be painful?
No, partner stretching should not be painful. The goal of static stretching (stretches that are held...
When is the best time to stretch and for how long?
Bob GreeneBob Greene
Despite what many people think, stretching shouldn't be the very first thing you do. It's actually b...
Why is ballistic or excessive stretching bad?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Many of us came of age in an era when physical education teachers taught us to stretch by throwi...