What stretches should I do after jogging for an hour?

Running is a great form of exercise but due to the nature of the prolonged repetitive motion causes over activity of certain muscle groups. Any time muscles are overactive they often become shortened and tight. It is recommended that to regain and restore optimal muscle length you perform stretching exercises.

The best type of stretching post exercises to help restore muscle length is called static stretching. Static stretching is performed by placing a muscle under tension or in the stretch position and holding it for a minimum of 20 seconds. This period of time allows the muscle to relax and provides for better elongation of the muscle.

Following a jog here are 3 exercises that are highly recommended by NASM:

1. Calf Stretch
  2. Hip Flexor Stretch
  3. Standing Lat Stretch

Perform each exercise for 2 repetitions, holding the stretch for a minimum of 20 seconds.

[media id="DEV__4c84d73d4d4560_52445351" title="Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch"]

[media id="DEV__4c823f376a81c1_21563054" title="Standing Lat Stretch"]

After jogging for an hour, it will be important to perform multiple foam roll and static stretches for your lower body. Running is a repetitive motion and over time can cause overuse injuries such as shin splints, plantar fasciitis, knee pain, and hip pain. Having optimal flexibility and range of motion in your lower extremities will be important to minimize these aches and pains.  Try these stretches after your next run.

[media id="DEV__4c8131e64bade3_62571326" title="Foam Roll Calf"]

[media id="DEV__4c813232ab2da1_52832235" title="Foam Roll Front of Hip"]

[media id="PRD__4cc5c14b385c44_18916202" title="Foam Roll Outer Thigh"]

[media id="DEV__4c8240c5561d40_55319503" title="Wall Calf Stretch"]

[media id="DEV__4c823edca24aa7_53873633" title="Standing Outer Hamstring Stretch"]

Continue Learning about Stretching

How long does directed stretching take?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Directed stretching can be done anywhere and anytime you have fifteen minutes to yourself. Morni...
When is the best time to stretch and for how long?
Bob GreeneBob Greene
Despite what many people think, stretching shouldn't be the very first thing you do. It's actually b...
Is stretching going to help me tone-up?
Yes, stretching can help you tone-up assuming you follow your stretches with strengthening exercises...
How can I stretch my gluteals?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do a gluteal stretch: Reps: 3-4 Sets: 1 Intensity: Moderate Hold: 10-30 seconds Res...