Why do I crave carbs when I'm stressed?

Serotonin is a chemical in the brain that improves mood. Carbohydrates increase the levels of serotonin in the brain. Therefore, eating carbohydrates can increase the levels of serotonin in the brain, which improves our mood. The only problem is that when we are stressed, we crave simple carbs, which raise serotonin levels quickly but temporarily.
Chris Powell
Fitness
We crave carbs when we're stressed out, because we have a strong emotional connection and attachment to carb-heavy comfort foods. In this video, I will explain why awareness of physical vs. emotional hunger is important. 
Many women have shunned carbohydrates as a way to lose weight. Yet we often crave certain carbohydrate-rich foods (think sweets) when we're depressed or stressed because carbohydrates produce serotonin, which floods us with good feelings and calmness. That blood sugar spike is followed quickly by a crash -- often compounded by feelings of guilt about the enormous piece (or two) of cake we've just eaten.

Continue Learning about Stress

Where to Turn Your Eyes for Stress Relief
Next time you feel like you're about to lose it, switch off your computer monitor and take a look out the window. New research shows it might be just...
Why do people react differently to stress?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Exposed to the same trigger/stressor, people vary remarkably in their stress response. For examp...
9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger
9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger
Keep your cool with these helpful coping strategies. Overreacting to anger doesn't help anyone. Not the driver you're swearing at. Not your friends o...
How Important Is Stress Management to Brain Health?