What stressors are associated with heart disease?

Evidence suggests that stress is a risk factor for heart disease, though researchers are not yet sure whether stress on its own contributes to disease, or whether stress contributes to risk factors such as poor diet. Stress can be caused by anything that requires you to change or respond to your environment. The things that make you feel stressed are called stressors.
Studies have revealed several major stressors that are associated with an increase in heart disease risk. They include:
  • job or financial strains
  • marital strain or divorce
  • social isolation, including loss of a loved one and depression 
  • personality traits, such as type A “perfectionist” personality, anger and hostility, and anxiety
  • a pessimistic outlook 
Managing your stress is one area of your heart health where you can work to lower your heart disease risk. Your physician, therapist, or other qualified medical professional can help you identify stress management techniques that work for you.

Continue Learning about Stress

How Forgiveness Boosts Immunity and Reduces Stress
Are you harboring a grudge? Maybe against the neighbor who sideswiped your mailbox and never fixed it? Or that ex who stomped all over your heart? Or ...
How can reading help me relax?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Reading is a natural way to stay calm and relax. Devices like televisions, tablets and computers emi...
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
Try these expert-approved tips the next time you're feeling overwhelmed.
What Is Stress and Why Should I Be Concerned About It?