What stressors are associated with heart disease?

Evidence suggests that stress is a risk factor for heart disease, though researchers are not yet sure whether stress on its own contributes to disease, or whether stress contributes to risk factors such as poor diet. Stress can be caused by anything that requires you to change or respond to your environment. The things that make you feel stressed are called stressors.
Studies have revealed several major stressors that are associated with an increase in heart disease risk. They include:
  • job or financial strains
  • marital strain or divorce
  • social isolation, including loss of a loved one and depression 
  • personality traits, such as type A “perfectionist” personality, anger and hostility, and anxiety
  • a pessimistic outlook 
Managing your stress is one area of your heart health where you can work to lower your heart disease risk. Your physician, therapist, or other qualified medical professional can help you identify stress management techniques that work for you.

Continue Learning about Stress

Best Health Boosters for Busy People
Best Health Boosters for Busy People
We know that you're busier than a starlet at The Ivy. But you can still get the CD for your friend's birthday made, the dishes and laundry done, and t...
My Commute Made Me a Stress Monster—Here's How I Fixed It
I used to swear a lot. Specifically, I swore a lot last year, when my daily commute started chipping away at my sanity. Each morning, I would roll i...
How can stress affect my breast milk supply?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Stress can block the letdown reflex and reduce milk flow. Your milk supply can change during the d...
5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Heartburn and Indigestion