What are common reactions to stress in children ages 5 to 11?

Children in this age group commonly react to stress by acting out, sleeping poorly, and showing a decrease in school performance. Some kids will regress in their potty training and developmental skills. Others may become more parent-dependent and need more family time.

Any of the following can be normal reactions when your child is exposed to stress:

• Difficulty sleeping
  • Academic difficulty
  • Unreasonable fear
  • Gastrointestinal upset, headache/migraine
  • Regression of behavior
  • Avoidance of social interaction
  • Distraction, lack of focus
  • Irritable, combative
  • Withdrawn

You should consider professional help if you see:

• Any reactions to stress that are prolonged or severe
  • Repeated bedwetting
  • Overly anxious, unable to relax
  • Unable to leave parent(s)
  • Bouts of crying unrelated to any event

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Stress

Parents Get School Stress, Too—Here’s How to Handle It
After a relaxing summer, the first day of a new school year can bring a mixture of giddy excitement—new teachers! new friends! new notebooks ready to ...
Do women and men respond differently to stress?
Research indicates that women's biological response to stress is to "tend and befriend" -- make sure...
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
Try these expert-approved tips the next time you're feeling overwhelmed.
How Can I Change My Response to Stress?
How Can I Change My Response to Stress?