What are common reactions to stress in children ages 5 to 11?

Children in this age group commonly react to stress by acting out, sleeping poorly, and showing a decrease in school performance. Some kids will regress in their potty training and developmental skills. Others may become more parent-dependent and need more family time.

Any of the following can be normal reactions when your child is exposed to stress:

• Difficulty sleeping
  • Academic difficulty
  • Unreasonable fear
  • Gastrointestinal upset, headache/migraine
  • Regression of behavior
  • Avoidance of social interaction
  • Distraction, lack of focus
  • Irritable, combative
  • Withdrawn

You should consider professional help if you see:

• Any reactions to stress that are prolonged or severe
  • Repeated bedwetting
  • Overly anxious, unable to relax
  • Unable to leave parent(s)
  • Bouts of crying unrelated to any event

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Stress

Why Should I Add a Stress-Management Practice?
Photo Credit: Menhak via Flickr Creative Commons Although eating healthy and exercising regularly are important to your health and well-being, stress...
The Health Benefits of Decluttering
The Health Benefits of Decluttering
When you're so stressed you can't think straight, take a quick look around. See lots of clutter? Consider it a sign. In her book, The Superstress Sol...
Can high stress levels cause cheilitis?
High stress levels has been linked to exfoliative cheilitis. This type of cheilitis can be caused by...
How can I use progressive muscle relaxation to help with stress?
Progressive muscle relaxation will help you de-stress by tensing, then releasing, muscles. Find a qu...