What can I do when my partner and I are both dealing with stress?

When both you and your partner are dealing with stress, it's important to learn to recognize the signs of stress in each other. Here are some tips for handling stresses together:
  • Don't take everything that either of you say or do too seriously.
  • Use good-natured humor to relieve the tension.
  • Avoid criticism or negativity.
  • Be flexible.
  • Gentle touching, a mutual foot rub, back rubs or baths are all likely to help.
  • Do stretches that involve two people.
  • Take turns with chores.
  • Plan a strategy for the week, with both of you sharing the load.
  • Be realistic about what you can accomplish and set priorities.
  • Give each other opportunities to talk and for quiet time.
  • Get enough sleep.

Continue Learning about Stress

Less Clutter, Less Stress
Less Clutter, Less Stress
Jane and I usually have lunch after yoga class on Saturdays. Recently, she politely excused herself and told me how excited she was to continue declut...
What are symptoms of acute stress disorder?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Symptoms of acute stress disorder are similar to those of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), but...
5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out
5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out
Stress is a normal part of life—but some is within your control. Find out which habits—an unhealthy diet, skimping on sleep—cause stress overload.
How Does Stress Affect a Couple's Sexual Relationship?