What can I do when my partner and I are both dealing with stress?

When both you and your partner are dealing with stress, it's important to learn to recognize the signs of stress in each other. Here are some tips for handling stresses together:
  • Don't take everything that either of you say or do too seriously.
  • Use good-natured humor to relieve the tension.
  • Avoid criticism or negativity.
  • Be flexible.
  • Gentle touching, a mutual foot rub, back rubs or baths are all likely to help.
  • Do stretches that involve two people.
  • Take turns with chores.
  • Plan a strategy for the week, with both of you sharing the load.
  • Be realistic about what you can accomplish and set priorities.
  • Give each other opportunities to talk and for quiet time.
  • Get enough sleep.

Continue Learning about Stress

3 Stress Management Practices That Increase Our Empathy
Divided, We Suffer Concentrating on what divides us may feed our anger and righteousness, but it doesn’t feed our hearts and our health. Of course it’...
4 Ways to Stay Calm This Holiday Season
4 Ways to Stay Calm This Holiday Season
The holidays can be a lot to handle. There are family gatherings to attend, presents to buy, end-of-year work deadlines to hit—and social media to sho...
12-Step Stress Management Plan
12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan
Learn how to keep chronic stress from aging your body. Did you know that stress is one of the biggest agers of your body? Most of us have it. The issu...
10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress
10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress
From exercise to meditation, here are 10 ways to manage unchecked stress. We all experience stress from time to time. In fact, about 8 in 10 adults f...