What can I do when my partner and I are both dealing with stress?

When both you and your partner are dealing with stress, it's important to learn to recognize the signs of stress in each other. Here are some tips for handling stresses together:
  • Don't take everything that either of you say or do too seriously.
  • Use good-natured humor to relieve the tension.
  • Avoid criticism or negativity.
  • Be flexible.
  • Gentle touching, a mutual foot rub, back rubs or baths are all likely to help.
  • Do stretches that involve two people.
  • Take turns with chores.
  • Plan a strategy for the week, with both of you sharing the load.
  • Be realistic about what you can accomplish and set priorities.
  • Give each other opportunities to talk and for quiet time.
  • Get enough sleep.

Continue Learning about Stress

Why Spending Time With Friends Will Lower Your Stress
Thousands of studies have found that the majority of us thrive when we have strong, positive relationships with other people. Your happiness actually ...
How can I manage stressors in my life?
You can learn to manage how you respond to stressors through relaxation, meditation, some forms of p...
5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out
5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out
Stress is a normal part of life—but some is within your control. Find out which habits—an unhealthy diet, skimping on sleep—cause stress overload.
Telling the Truth Is Good for Your Health