What are some ways to cope with the stress of having an ill child?

The following are tips for managing stress related to parenting a child with chronic illness:

• Make sure you get enough rest and food.
  • Pay attention to your spouse and talk about what you’re both feeling.
  • Don’t plan ahead too much. Instead, break your child’s treatment into small blocks of time so that you plan only for the next week or so.
  • If you need help with the financial side of your child’s illness, talk to your doctor or hospital staff about specific options for your child’s condition.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Stress

What are causes of stress for high school students?
Dr. Michele BorbaDr. Michele Borba
Every year, more and more pressures regarding classes, getting into the right college (or deciding i...
What are common reactions to stress in young teens?
Any of the following can be normal reactions when your child is exposed to stress:Seems withdrawnAvo...
How does stress affect my quality of sleep?
Stress can decrease your quality of sleep in a major way. There are two stages of sleep, categor...
How Can I Deal with the Stress In My Life?