What are some ways to cope with the stress of having an ill child?

The following are tips for managing stress related to parenting a child with chronic illness:

• Make sure you get enough rest and food.
  • Pay attention to your spouse and talk about what you’re both feeling.
  • Don’t plan ahead too much. Instead, break your child’s treatment into small blocks of time so that you plan only for the next week or so.
  • If you need help with the financial side of your child’s illness, talk to your doctor or hospital staff about specific options for your child’s condition.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Stress

Stressed About Retirement? Here's How to Ease Your Mind
Worried about saving enough for retirement? You’re not alone. A 2016 survey of 1,000 workers found that it was a top source of financial stress, regar...
How can I plan for the future without worrying?
Elizabeth Lombardo, PhDElizabeth Lombardo, PhD
You can plan for the future without worrying by taking the steps you need to plan for a threat, with...
10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress
10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress
From exercise to meditation, here are 10 ways to manage unchecked stress.
What Are Simple Ways a Couple Can Reduce Stress In Their Marriage?