How can I tell if my stress level is too high?

Wondering if you're standing perilously close to the burnout edge? Answer the following questions with a "yes" or "no," considering how you feel today only.
- Do you feel as worn down as 100,000-mile tires?
- When you think about your boss, your kids, your food-begging parrot, or anyone else in your life making demands, do you primarily feel anger?
- Do you feel overwhelmed or besieged by work?
- Do you explode easily - even at trivial issues?
- Do you suffer from headaches, gastrointestinal distress, or insomnia?
- Are you considered the resident Evel Knievel, taking unnecessary risks?
- Are you stressed out by money issues more than once a month?
Ideally, I want you to answer "no" to all of these questions. If you nodded in the affirmative to any, it's a sign you may be suffering from burnout and stress. The more "yes" answers you have, the faster you're on your way to a total meltdown.
We all know at least one person who frets about everything - the weather, the plug on the coffee machine, who's going to make the American Idol finale. We have a name for these chronic fretters: worry warts. (Notice that we don't call them worry whizzes. The "wart" imagery seems about right; worrying is definitely not an attractive quality.) Although none of us actively aspire to be a worrier, worrying does serve an important purpose. From an evolutionary standpoint, worrying signals a lack of confidence, knowledge or control. Where are we going to sleep tonight? What's for dinner? Was that rustling in the bushes coming from the wind or a big-toothed mammal thats thinking we are for dinner?
When we don't know the answers to our questions, we feel anxious, stressed, and under duress. Today's big questions are a little bit different. We worry about paying our bills, we worry about our career path, and we worry about the health of ourselves and our families. Fundamentally, this also serves some purpose: Worry helps us take some action - to ease our stress and anxiety. But whatever the case, stress is essentially about a lack of control - or rather, our reaction when things are not in our control.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Stress

Is Your Stress Harming Your Health?
Is Your Stress Harming Your Health?
We know that smoking and distracted driving can post serious health risks, but could stress be dangerous too? Everyone feels stress from time to time....
How to Help Prevent a Heart Attack
How to Help Prevent a Heart Attack
There’s a reason the song, “Stressed Out,” by Twenty One Pilots struck a chord with listeners last year, topping the charts and getting over 800 milli...
What steps should I take to have a stress-proof body?
Rosemary oil helps reduce inflammation in your body. What else can you do to stress-proof your body?...
What Can I Do Every Day to Remain Centered?