How can I react positively to stress?

Robert DeVito
Fitness

The first step to reacting to stress in a positive way is to understand that stress is a natural part of life. Meaning, you have got to know that avoidance of stress is highly unlikely. However, being better prepared for stressors, having a plan in place to identify when you are feeling stressed, and having skills and tools at the ready will mentally prepare you to better handle stress and stressful situations.

A few of these tools - 

1. Mindfulness/awareness - Being present and aware of how you are thinking and how you are feeling is vital to a positive outcome.  Practice "checking in" with yourself when you are in a clear mind. Ask yourself questions such as: How am I feeling?  Am I tense? Am I having recurring focus on one challenge or problem? Am I in an even mood or am I becoming short in my temper?  A consistent "check-in" will better keep you on track and aware of your feelings.
  2. Breathe -  You can either focus on a problem or you can focus on a solution. One way in which you can focus on a solution is to slow down and breathe.  Find a quiet spot where you can be alone for 3-5 minutes.  Breathe in deeply through your nose and out through your mouth.  Repeat.
  3. Develop a "mantra" -  A mantra is a saying that is simple and repeatable. It will be your "go to" phrase to keep you focused on what you want. An example of a positive and simple mantra is - "I am strong enough to face any challenge." or "I get to choose my mood and my reactions."
  4. Maintain Perspective - Focus on "Big Picture" things. Ask yourself if what you are getting upset about will matter in an hour, or tomorrow. In most cases it will not. This perspective shift will allow you to maintain focus on what matters rather than spending time being upset over "little things".
  5. Avoid Perfectionism - As a part of the Human race, we are prone to mistakes. Remember this. No one handles everything perfectly. If we can "live and learn," then we are on the right track.  Gain lessons and tools from your mistakes to better enable you to not get so stressed and rebound from stress quicker.

Summary :

Understand that stress is natural and with practice you can maintain control of your mood by being prepared for impending stressors. Smile, breathe and stay happy!

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Learn research proven stress reduction practices you can do when you experience stress. Remember a simple acronym S.E.L.F. Care. S is for serenity. When stressed do a serenity practice such as; taking a few deep breaths, repeat a positive affirmation, do a short meditation or do a guided imagery. E is for exercise.  When you are stressed go for a walk, do some yoga stretches in your chair or lift a 5 pound weight a few times. L is for love. Communicating with someone you love reduces your stress.  Keep your best friend, spouse or family member on your text and phone list.  When you are stressed give them a quick call, email or call for support and release. F is for food. Food can increase or reduce stress.  Make sure you know what foods you can eat when you are stressed that have Omega 3’s, B6’s or whole grains.
Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology
Follow these steps to react positively to stress:

1. Stop when stressors begin to make you feel anxious and overwhelmed.
2. Breathe from your abdomen, inhaling to the count of 5, holding to the count of 3, and exhaling to the count of 5.
3. Relax your muscles throughout your body as you try to change your response.
4. Mindfully focus on a relaxing scene as you try to change your mind’s perception and switch into the relaxation response.
Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

Continue Learning about Stress

Working Out a Good Cry
Working Out a Good Cry
Feel like you could use a good cry but just can't get the waterworks started? Try going for a long, hard walk. According to Tina Vindum, author of Ou...
How does stress affect metabolism?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
At any given time, there are an untold number of chemical reactions taking place in our cells -- amo...
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
Try these expert-approved tips the next time you're feeling overwhelmed.
Relax & Reduce Stress to Prevent a Heart Attack