Can lowering stress help reduce the signs of aging?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Reducing stress can also reduce the signs of aging. When a patient walks into my office and is overly stressed, I can tell right away. They look sometimes 10 years older. When you stress, you create facial expressions -- often unconsciously -- that over time create wrinkles and permanent furrows in the skin. Start a program of stress management through deep breathing, exercise, talking, etc. Your skin will look younger and -- an added bonus -- you will feel so much better.

Continue Learning about Stress

Stress Less with This Kind of Tea
Stress Less with This Kind of Tea
Next time you're feeling frazzled, cozy up to a nice warm cup of chamomile tea. In a small study of people with anxiety, stress symptoms dropped by a...
Adults Get Bullied, Too. Here’s How to Stop It
When you hear the word “bully,” the first thing that probably comes to mind is childhood bullying. But the reality is, adults also experience bullying...
Lose Weight by Dealing with Financial Stress
Are you gaining weight? Having trouble losing? We have an unusual diet tip to get you on the fast track to a slimmer you: Quit worrying about money. ...
How is stress harmful to my skin?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Stress is a crazy skin-ager—it can cause you to look three to six years older. Stress causes collage...