Can lowering stress help reduce the signs of aging?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Reducing stress can also reduce the signs of aging. When a patient walks into my office and is overly stressed, I can tell right away. They look sometimes 10 years older. When you stress, you create facial expressions -- often unconsciously -- that over time create wrinkles and permanent furrows in the skin. Start a program of stress management through deep breathing, exercise, talking, etc. Your skin will look younger and -- an added bonus -- you will feel so much better.

Continue Learning about Stress

Give Stress the Pink Slip
Give Stress the Pink Slip
Got a few minutes, but not a few bucks? In less time than it takes to eat a sandwich, you can give stress the pink slip -- and reduce your risk for ev...
Which fats and carbohydrates should I eat when coping with stress?
When coping with stress, fats and carbohydrates should play a role in your diet, but use care regard...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Stress isn't just bad for your mental health—it can harm your physical health as well. Learn how, plus smart strategies to help you take control.
5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Heartburn and Indigestion