What are the factors at your job that can lead to chronic stress?

While individual stresses may seem like minor distractions and annoyances, the truth is they can add up and become soul-crushing.

Not being able to focus on your work can affect your body, and your body reacts to this stress by arousing the nervous system-which releases hormones.

As your pulse quickens, you breathing intensifies and your muscles tense. When your body is exposed frequently to this kind of stress, the stress creates allostatic load. This kind of stress has been linked to high blood pressure, chronic fatigue, musculoskeletal disorders, diabetes, depression, substance abuse and even heart attacks.

Allostatic load also can contribute to a weakened immune system, which can make vulnerable to colds and other illnesses. Even worse, it can weaken your brain's ability to learn new things and to remember things.

Continue Learning about Stress

Give Stress the Soft Touch
Give Stress the Soft Touch
If your worries are following you around like a long afternoon shadow, here's a fun way to give them the slip: Spend 30 minutes cuddling on the couch...
How can I prevent my stress from harming my child?
Kynthia JamesKynthia James
Stress unfortunately is a normal part of living and it is important that we learn healthy ways of de...
How does stress affect a perfectionist?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
Perfectionists struggle tremendously with stress, which is indelibly linked to feelings of sadne...
How Does Stress Impact Pregnancy?
How Does Stress Impact Pregnancy?