Is having a long commute bad for my health?

Long commutes negatively impact your health—eating up time you might use for exercise and adding to the total time you spend sitting (and stressing, if you're in traffic). In fact, people who sit 8 to 11 hours a day are twice as likely to die (over any given three-year period of time) than folks who sit for 4 hours a day or less. Now, a Texas study confirms what we've suspected: the longer the commute, the more likely you are to put on pounds and increase your risk for heart disease and diabetes.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Having a long commute can have detrimental physical and emotional effects, like divorce, depression, and a lesser quality of life. In this video, I will discuss ways to cope if you have a long commute.

Continue Learning about Stress

Is Stress Ruining Your Memory?
Is Stress Ruining Your Memory?
Major Harris, quarterback at West Virginia in the late 90s, is a college football Hall-of-Famer. But in a pivotal game against Penn State, as the cloc...
How can stress affect my hormones?
Natasha Turner, NDNatasha Turner, ND
Stress doesn't just make you feel bad; it can actually raise or lower the level of key hormones invo...
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
Find out how working too much can make you sick – and what you can do.
Can You Repair a Telomere?
Can You Repair a Telomere?