Is having a long commute bad for my health?

Long commutes negatively impact your health—eating up time you might use for exercise and adding to the total time you spend sitting (and stressing, if you're in traffic). In fact, people who sit 8 to 11 hours a day are twice as likely to die (over any given three-year period of time) than folks who sit for 4 hours a day or less. Now, a Texas study confirms what we've suspected: the longer the commute, the more likely you are to put on pounds and increase your risk for heart disease and diabetes.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Having a long commute can have detrimental physical and emotional effects, like divorce, depression, and a lesser quality of life. In this video, I will discuss ways to cope if you have a long commute.

Continue Learning about Stress

Find Your True Self Through Silence
Find Your True Self Through Silence
Have you ever spent time with someone you love and just shared the silence of the moment together? Not that uncomfortable silence where someone is ang...
What does stress do to our bodies?
Stress puts your body in high gear so you can swerve to avoid that close call on the highway or plow...
12-Step Stress Management Plan
12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan
Learn how to keep chronic stress from aging your body.
What Breathing Exercise Can I Do to Reduce Stress?