Q

Stress

Is having a long commute bad for my health?

• A , Internal Medicine, answered
    Long commutes negatively impact your health—eating up time you might use for exercise and adding to the total time you spend sitting (and stressing, if you're in traffic). In fact, people who sit 8 to 11 hours a day are twice as likely to die (over any given three-year period of time) than folks who sit for 4 hours a day or less. Now, a Texas study confirms what we've suspected: the longer the commute, the more likely you are to put on pounds and increase your risk for heart disease and diabetes.
    2 people found this helpful.
  • A , Internal Medicine, answered
    Dr. Robin Miller - long commutes and health
    Having a long commute can have detrimental physical and emotional effects, like divorce, depression, and a lesser quality of life. In this video, I will discuss ways to cope if you have a long commute.

1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Why do people react differently to stress?