How is stress linked to disease?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Stress increases adrenaline, increases your stress hormones, increases your blood pressure, increases your blood sugar, impairs your memory and slows your digestive function.  Because of these physical reactions of your body to stress your risk of chronic diseases increases such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, obesity, depression and hypertension.
William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology

Every element of metabolic syndrome, which include excess weight/obesity, high blood pressure, cholesterol abnormalities, elevated blood sugar and diabetes, and fatty liver can be promoted and/or aggravated by stress. Stress increases the risk of heart disease in healthy persons and increases the risk of dying in those who have had heart attacks. Stress is also associated with osteoporosis. Frankly, with the knowledge caregivers have regarding the link between stress and disease, we should be issuing the following warning: When your body’s stress response is constantly triggered, you may be vulnerable to serious health problems.

Still Hurting? FIND HEALTH! Discover What's Behind Your SYMPTOMS (That Doctors Can't Explain)

Still Hurting? FIND HEALTH! presents a new model of disease, which empowers readers suffering with pain, symptoms (e.g., fatigue), and symptom syndromes (e.g., irritable bowel, fibromyalgia, chronic...

Continue Learning about Stress

Why You Need to Care About Stress—and How to Start Managing It Now
Whether you’re stuck in traffic, worried about money or just had an argument with your partner, stress is a part of our daily lives. Bigger stressors ...
How does age affect stress?
As the irony of life would have it, apparently stress is something we handle better with age. All of...
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I never realized how anxious I was until my phone analyzed the stress in my voice.
How Can Energy Management Help Stress and Performance?